Saturday, June 20, 2015

The knock!


"With unfailing love I have I drawn you to myself."
    -Jeremiah 31:3

(the following is by Spurgeon)

The Master came one night to the door, and
knocked with the iron hand of the law; the
door shook and trembled upon its hinges.
But the man piled every piece of furniture
which he could find against the door, for he
said, "I will not admit that man."

The Master turned away, but by-and-by He
came back, and with His own soft hand, using
most that part where the nail had penetrated,
He knocked again -- oh, so softly and tenderly.

This time the door did not shake, but, strange
to say, it opened, and there upon his knees the
once unwilling host was found rejoicing to receive
his guest!

“Come in, come in; you have so knocked that my
affections are moved for you. I could not think of
your pierced hand leaving its blood mark on my
door. I yield, I yield, Your love has won my heart.”

So in every case, the love of Christ wins the day.
What Moses with the tablets of stone could never
do, Christ does with His pierced hand!

Such is the doctrine of effectual calling.
Do I understand it experimentally?

"With unfailing love I have I drawn you to myself."
    -Jeremiah 31:3



No comments: